Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Simple Concept of Cursive Writing

            Most basics that are necessary in a child’s education aren’t necessarily considered school subjects. As spelling is an important concept that requires lots of practice, so does cursive writing. This basic skill will not only speed up the writing process, but it will also introduce students to developing their own signature. Unfortunately, teaching students how to write in cursive as well as how to read cursive writing isn’t as important as it used to be.

          Cursive writing used to be a mandatory skill that was introduced to most students in the second grade and was perfected as the years went on. 
“We spent hours a week teaching young students how to correctly form letters doing stroke work, proper formation and a lot of printing practice,” explained Marianne McTavish, professor of language and literacy at the University of British Colombia. (1)

            Learning a new cursive letter every few days was a stepping-stone towards being able to link letters in order to form words.(1) I believe that not only should teachers go back to teaching students how to write in cursive, but they should also be teaching them how to read it.


            From my grade school experience, I can say that in most cases, we were forced to write in cursive for every assignment. By being told over and over again to write in cursive, most of us were able to master the art of cursive writing at a young age. After volunteering my time tutoring at Club de Devoirs, I have noticed that most of the students cannot properly write in cursive let alone read it. “Mme Nina, what does that word say?” is a common question that I am asked by students ranging from the fourth to the sixth grade when they see a word written in cursive. If children are unable to read cursive writing, how will they be able to read things such as greeting cards from grandparents or an old text written in cursive?

            With elementary schools not prioritizing cursive writing, many students are also losing out on numerous fine motor skills.By taking the time to master cursive writing, students will gain skills that will help them with memorization, expanding their vocabulary as well as adopting a more creative mindset while writing. (2) In my opinion, students who aren’t having the privilege to adopt this simple concept are losing out on multiple skills that will only be an advantage to them throughout their education.
 
            When thinking of cursive writing being eliminated from certain curriculums, the first thing that comes to mind is how will children in upcoming generations acquire a proper signature? A signature is required in many instances as you get older and without knowing how to link letters, it could become tricky.

I think it is unfortunate that students are not being taught how to properly scroll their letters at school and that it is becoming yet another skill that parents have to teach their children on their own. A simple ten-minute lesson every day to introduce a new letter would make a world of a difference in my opinion. After all, isn’t school supposed to prepare you for the future? 

I would like to end this post with a short video that for the most part sums up the importance of learning cursive writing even in today's technologically driven world. Enjoy!


7 comments:

  1. Nina, I found this blog subject of cursive writing to be very interesting. I have also notice that now a days cursive writing is not shown to students as much as it use to be. I am one to be guilty because I cannot write in cursive. I am sometimes even embarrassed when I must sign something because my signature is not good at all! Although, I am practising because I know I will need cursive writing in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina, your blog is very true and I cannot agree with you more on the importance of cursive writing. It is essentially a much more efficient way of writing that saves time. I wasn't aware of the other benefits of cursive writing, so maybe I should start applying this skill more often! I’m very fascinated by the points that who bring forward in your blog posts about the basic skills that should be taught in schools. However, I was wondering if you also think that moral and life lessons are very important to learn in the early education at school? You discuss the importance of learning technical skills, but do life skills fall under the category of basics that aren't being taught very well in some schools?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, after reading your comment you got me thinking about life lessons being taught in schools. I hadn't thought about it much before, but I do believe that life lessons should be taught as basics in schools as well. I think that students should get a base of these life/moral lessons, yet I do not think that they should be the priority. I believe that some of these lessons should be taught at schools and perhaps, practiced and or mastered at home! I'll consider making that one of my future blog topics :)

      Delete
  3. Great blog on the trouble with education today. Darn those teachers I say, darn them all to heck...wait a second. Your blog is informative, visually appealing and explains each point thoroughly. Good work!

    Nitpicks: Spacing issues in your blog…do not indent the first line in your paragraphs as it makes your posts look disjointed.
    -Format: Cannot read the results of your poll without using a slide bar
    -Careful using text heavy graphics where we can barely read the text.
    Typo: Beings vs begins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree and disagree. I do believe that cursive should be taught in schools but I don't think it should be used for writing tests. I can read cursive but when it is hand written I can hardly make out a sentence. Besides in my signature I cannot think of one instance where I would actually use cursive. Be that as is may your blog posses an interesting issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought this to be an issue! Many great points were brought up. I remember being forced write in cursive in elementary school but it never stuck for me, I'm horrible at it, my signature is even horrible! Most adults write strictly in cursive and thank goodness i can read it, but unfortunately can't write it without it looking like a young child did. I agree with you that there should be more focus this writing. After all, it's prettier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a romantic I cannot help but feel as though such elements of the past are best to not be forgotten. Despite the loss of aesthetics, however, since our era is so technologically inclined, I doubt it will remain a crucial skill because most script will be replaced with printed text. As for your signature argument, I might have to disagree due to the fact that I have never witnessed two individuals having identical penmanship, whether cursive or not. Besides, we'll probably be using fingerprints by the time that matters anyway.

    ReplyDelete